Monday, June 11, 2012

Letter from June 4th, 2012


Hey there friends!
 
It's been another week of mayhem here in the 'Dell. There's nothing quite like the South with its humidity and heat. Heaven help us once August comes. This week we didn't really have anything too crazy happen, with the exception of a crazy rain/thunderstorm stranding us on an investigator's porch. Just another week of working hard and knocking doors, which has caused me to get some petty cool calusces 
 
The investigator that I talked about last week is still progressing to baptism, but we had to move the date to the 16th. We lost contact with him for an entire week, and he couldn't make it to church because of an emergency, so we will need to wait until the 16th. But I'm really excited to see how he is embracing everything we teach with open arms. Already there has been a change in his countenance, and I'm sure it has come about through the Holy Ghost's involvement in his life. 
 
We also committed a family to baptism for the same date. We found them via tracting 30 minutes after I sent my email last week, and it was a super cool experience. After she shared her thoughts and concerns about modern religion, we found that the message of the Restoration covered every single one of them. Everything seemed like a revelation to her. She even started crying as we recited the Joseph Smith story. The spirit was super stong throught the entire lesson, and my companion and I were both learning from the experience. She even told us that for the past few days she had been praying for God to reveal the truth to her, and we showed up shortly after. Hopefully they can continue progressing towards baptism, because that would be such a miracle. Following the strugle we had for the first week or so in opening the area, miracles are starting to occur. 
 
We've also had some really cool things happen in working with members. We've been given the opportunity to give multiple blessings in a day, and the words that have come out of our mouths have left me speechless.  I love the ward so much - there are some very interesting people here. One of the older couples is my favorite. We had dinner with them the other night, and my companion and I were crying because of how much they were making us laugh. He was yelling (in his Cajun accent) "Baby, stop making food, can't you see they're done!?" to which she would reply "It's not like we're going to kill them Walter!" followed by even more food hitting the table. Then she would lean over to us and whisper, "After 52 years of marriage, we talk like we're going to murder each other, but it's really not that way, don't you worry." This continued for a good 10 minutes. I guess you had to be there, but man - words can't describe how hilarious they are. Shoot son!
 
As for this week, I think that's all that I have to report. Congrats to everyone who graduated this past week - the world is yours for the taking, go have some fun! I love you all and hope you have a great week!
 
Love,
Elder Thomas
 

No comments:

Post a Comment